Advertisement

How to Mix Rap Vocals

How to Mix Rap Vocals When it comes to mixing vocals, the struggle is real! The most important part of any song, is almost always the most complicated instrument to mix. The reason for this is because with all that's going on in a mix, the vocal has to be the one to stand out. Oftentimes it needs to be front and center, right in your face...which is not an easy task.

So much goes into mixing a vocal, especially when it was not well recorded. This particular vocal mix was from a song with Range and Chris Weaver. I used an Ehrlund EHR-M condenser mic into an Apollo Twin Duo API unison mic pre.

This was a great setup, but I think I did make one big mistake though. I was paranoid about the acoustics in my vocal booth and wanted some "extra" absorption, so I put the sE reflection filter on. I didn't realize at the time, but having the mic lodged too deep into the filter made the mic pic up some excess low frequency build up, causing me to have to cut that muddy sound considerably. I had no choice but to "fix it in the mix!"

Thanks for watching! Leave a comment and let me know what you think!

Listen to "No Filter" by Range feat. Chris Weaver:

Visit my site:

Listen to The Mix Lodge Podcast:
iTunes:
Spotify:
Google Play Music:

how to mix rap vocals,how to mix vocals,how to edit vocals,how to make my vocals sound better,vocals,mixing vocals,mixing rap vocals,mixing,engineering,compression,eq,how to compress,how to add compression,how to eq,what is eq,what is compression,

Post a Comment

0 Comments